Monday, July 13, 2015

Day 45 - Wheaton College and Rebecca

[Kalon]  We had thought originally of taking the car ferry across Lake Michigan but decided instead to drive around the lower end of the lake to Wheaton so that we could visit a Santa Barbara friend of ours (Rebecca Gist) who we have known for several years through our church. 


Rebecca is doing advanced study at Wheaton as well as serving as an advisor to students.  She is a lovely young woman whose love for God is precious.

After lunch with Rebecca we traveled further to Madison, Wisconsin to spend the night.

[Karen] The reason I look so worried above is that while Kalon and Rebecca walked to the restaurant from her apartment I followed the written directions she had done for me as it was about a mile walk so I was to drive to the restaurant while Kalon walked with Rebecca. The directions were quite simple but I got lost again! I had seen the restaurant and had to circle a block or so to find a parking place within walking distance but when I got out of the car I could not orient myself to where I had last seen the restaurant. I did remind myself to remember where I parked - in front of the insurance company - but wandered around for awhile trying to find the restaurant. At last I did locate it, just as Kalon was looking for me and wondering if he would ever be reunited with his wife. Had a lovely lunch - pumpkin cranberry pancakes with four slices of bacon!!! Wheaton is a lovely town and very picturesque. The drive from Holland MI to Chicago was truck heavy but the views of the Chicago skyline were spectacular as we rounded the lower end of Lake Michigan and drove toward Chicago.


Chicago skyline


Brownstones along freeway toward Wheaton
We had an uneventful bucolic (mostly) drive toward Madison and ended the day with another heavy rainstorm. This is getting to be a pattern - Kalon gathers the luggage in our room in the am and pushes the trolley to the car and it starts to rain heavily as he goes to the car. We arrive - he goes into the motel to get the room key and the luggage trolley and as he pushes it to the car, it starts raining heavily! The Midwest does not like Californians! I am exaggerating - it actually did not start raining tonight until he walked across the street to get KFC for dinner and then it poured on him! I mean, look at that sky in the picture above, does it look like rain is in the forecast??!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment